Long time, no post, dear readers.
Sorry for stating the obvious. As you all know, I saw Slipknot back in November, and they put on one hell of a show (as always) and never fail to dissapoint. Since finishing the Slipknot cross-stitch that virtually consumed 6 years (give or take) of my life, I almost felt like I didn't know what to do with myself. That's a bit odd considering I'm a bit of a self-proclaimed "craft polygamist" and have many projects on the go at the same time. In case you were wondering, I'm working on two latch hook rugs, KISS masks, a crochet turtle, a tatted doily, and too many cross-stitch pieces to count.
The past few months have been a whirlwind in more ways than one, and I had lost all motivation to work on any of my needlework projects. I'm proud to say that I've been bit by the stitching bug once again.
This probably sounds weird, but I have always been fascinated with the Amish. They have a very simple and rewarding way of life. I need my music and I'm pretty sure I'd melt into a quivering blob of pink goo if I didn't have Slipknot, my electric guitar or my didgeridoo... That doesn't mean, however, that I don't admire their commitment to a simpler way of life. That being said, I'm not too keen on their potato salad, but I've always wanted to go to Amish country. I pretty much loved cross-stitch depicting the way of life of the Amish. I have several of Diane Graebner's designs and hope to stitch them all (ok, that might be a bit of a challenge...).
When I was younger, I had always admired my mother's finished design called "Sunshine and Shadow" by Prairie Schooler. I've never been a huge fan on TPS designs, but I did not only take a liking to this one, but also to "The Bremen Town Musicians" and "Three Billy Goats Gruff". "Sunshine and Shadow" appealed to me from the time my mother started working on it. It's a very simple Amish sampler with typical quilt designs and the horse and buggy. Since I've always loved the design, I wanted to stitch it myself.
After not having the motivation to work on this, I found it and noticed that I wasn't too far from finishing it. So within 2 days, I was able to stitch up the remainder, and this is the finished result (finished July 9, 2015).
The light green didn't show up as well as I'd like in this picture, but I do like how it looks on the natural linen. I'm quite proud of this piece, but I'm not sure what I should do with it yet.
Now that this is done, I can work a bit more on a portrait of my ferret and the album cover for "Rock and Roll Over" by KISS. Or maybe I'll work on some of the Thomas Kinkade designs... or... hopefully I'll also work on some of the many kits I've accumulated over the years too... I have to try to make up for lost time, I guess. Looks like I have a lot of stitching to do...